Book Review : Age of Deception by T.A. White


Age of Deception by T.A.White
Series : The Firebird Chronicles #2
Genre : Science Fiction, Space Opera
Publication Date : February 5th, 2020
War hero and daughter to two Houses, Kira is just beginning to learn how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Agreeing to accompany her father’s people back to their homeworld, Kira Forrest prepares for the fight of her life. She’s agreed to undertake the Trial of the Broken, a rite of passage every member of her father’s House must pass. It offers a path to independence and freedom that is too tempting to deny.

Not everyone welcomes this lost daughter of Roake. There are those who fear what her presence might bring to light. Betrayal stalks the halls of Kira’s birthplace—its roots embedded deep in the events that claimed her parent’s lives and set her on her current path.

Walking the wire’s edge between truth and deception will test the person Kira has become as she separates ally from betrayer. An old enemy has put into motion a plan that could topple the balance of power in the universe. Letting them succeed spells doom—but the price might be more than Kira is willing to pay.

Words can't begin to describe how much I love T.A. White's books and her writing! It was back in 2016, when I first read Pathfinder's Way and I've loved the amazing mix of world-building and strong but realistic characters that she writes in her books!

Age Of Deception is the second installment in her latest Firebird Chronicles series, which follows Kira Forrest, a war-hero who has discovered in the previous book that she belongs to the Tuann race! But, as she never took a formal retirement from the human army, they have a say in her activities too!
This doesn't sit well with our headstrong heroine who just wants to live her life in peace(with a side-quest of her own!). As, Age of Deception picks up from the end of book one, Kira finds herself journeying to her homeworld to meet her father's House, after a lot of political maneuvering!

Since she isn't really keen on this, she figures that the easiest way to have some independence from all parties would be to pass the adva ka test. But, before doing that she needs to win the confidence of House Roake's members and pass the uhva na(Trial of the Broken)!

Of course nothing is as easy as it seems and Kira has a lot of difficulties along her way! She needs to figure out the tenuous relationship with her Uncle(her only family member left standing from her father's side)! Plus, there is the attraction between her and the Emperor's Face, Graydon! And, turns out there might be a traitor in House Roake and his actions are beginning to threaten Kira and those she cares about!
What must a girl do to catch a break right?

If there's one thing I love the most about T.A. White's books -  it's the protagonists! They're strong-willed, bad-ass, talented and really clever, but also stubborn to a fault! Kira is even more stubborn than Shea (from the Broken Lands series), with her habit of not trusting anyone and jumping into action without warning the others! But, as always it's by-product of her experiences! We get to see more glimpses into her childhood in this book and this gives us an even better idea of what has shaped her! 

As always Jin is here in the book! The first few chapters had me wondering whether he'd be present for the rest of the book but thankfully he came back before I could start missing him!(The scene with him and the mini-Jin he 'spawns' had me in stitches!🤣🤣🤣) Plus, we finally get to find out more about him and his origins(I knew that there'd be a big story behind this!)

And the romance between Kira and Graydon finally begins to pick up! This is another amazing thing about T.A. White's books! There's no insta-attraction, but a super slow-build up with the development of a relationship that is based on mutual admiration, trust and a little competition!😉

"I see you, Kira. I'm not going anywhere," Graydon said. "We'll see about that," she said as she faced the baby. 
"Yes, we will. I'll prove it over and over if I have to— until you trust me with all that you are," Graydon murmured.

The mix of action and suspense was wonderful in this book! The author slowly peels back the layers of the Tuann society and the war with the Tsavitee without overwhelming us! You just have to read this one to understand the amount of thought and creativity that has gone behind creating this complex world and the relationships between the characters! I loved Kira's uncle - Harlow and the Commander Wren in this one! They were slow to warm up to at first but by the end I wanted to hug them badly! 

The last few chapters had me on the edge of my seat in anticipation! The ending had me shook!🤯
I need the next book NOW!
Please give it to us soon!



Writing is my first love. Even before I could read or put coherent sentences down on paper, I would beg the older kids to team up with me for the purpose of crafting ghost stories to share with our friends. This first writing partnership came to a tragic end when my coauthor decided to quit a day later, and I threw my cookies at her head. Today, I stick with solo writing, telling the stories that would otherwise keep me up at night.

Most days (and nights) are spent feeding my tea addiction while defending the computer keyboard from my feline companions , Loki and Odin.

Comments