Book Review : Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross



Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross
Series : Letters Of Enchantment #2
Genre : Fantasy
Publisher : Wednesday Books
Publication Date : December 26th, 2023
The epic conclusion to the intensely romantic and beautifully written story that started in Divine Rivals.

Two weeks have passed since Iris Winnow returned home bruised and heartbroken from the front, but the war is far from over. Roman is missing, and the city of Oath continues to dwell in a state of disbelief and ignorance. When Iris and Attie are given another chance to report on Dacre’s movements, they both take the opportunity and head westward once more despite the danger, knowing it’s only a matter of time before the conflict reaches a city that’s unprepared and fracturing beneath the chancellor’s reign.

Since waking below in Dacre’s realm, Roman cannot remember his past. But given the reassurance that his memories will return in time, Roman begins to write articles for Dacre, uncertain of his place in the greater scheme of the war. When a strange letter arrives by wardrobe door, Roman is first suspicious, then intrigued. As he strikes up a correspondence with his mysterious pen pal, Roman will soon have to make a decision: to stand with Dacre or betray the god who healed him. And as the days grow darker, inevitably drawing Roman and Iris closer together…the two of them will risk their very hearts and futures to change the tides of the war.

B&N
 I'd read Divine Rivals last year and I loved it so much, but I've been putting off reading Ruthless Vows just because I didn't want it to end😂 ⁣
I figured it was time to finally read it this weekend after re-reading the first book. And I really enjoyed reading this one but I didn't love it as much as the first book. It's hard to live up to a predecessor like Divine Rivals that has beautiful writing, characters that you can't help but root for, swoonworthy romance and more! Ruthless Vows had all of these elements too but they were overshadowed by the war, the gods and other events in the story. Even during the re-read, Divine Rivals hit me in the feels and I fell in love with these characters all over again while screaming at that ending.⁣
Ruthless Vows picks up where the previous book left off and I loved how we slowly got more details about the gods and the war between them. The epistolary elements that I'd loved in the first book were still here and I loved watching Iris and Roman reconnect through their letters. These two have gone through so much but I loved how they always fought for each other. They truly bring out the best in each other and I've loved watching their characters develop and grow stronger. I loved meeting Attie, Marisol and Forest again along with the introduction of some new characters too. As the story moves further the focus shifts to the gods - Dacre and Enva, and this left me with mixed feelings at times. Without giving any spoilers, though this was a satisfying conclusion to the duology, I was still left with some unanswered questions and lukewarm feelings toward the gods. I'd love to revisit this world again and perhaps try to recapture the magic that Divine Rivals had!❣️✨

You can also find my review on my bookstagram here


You can find my reviews of the other books in the series here


Rebecca Ross writes fantasy novels for teens and adults. She lives in the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Georgia with her husband, their lively Australian Shepherd, and an endless pile of books. The Queen’s Rising, The Queen’s Resistance, Sisters of Sword & Song, and Dreams Lie Beneath are her titles for young adult readers. A River Enchanted is her adult fantasy debut, publishing February 15, 2022 with its sequel, A FIRE ENDLESS, to follow. When not writing, she can be found reading or in her garden, where she grows wildflowers and story ideas.


Comments