Book Review : Just Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane




Just Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane
Genre : Women's Fiction, Contemporary Romance
Publisher William Morrow Paperbacks
Publication Date May 4th, 2021
Eve, Justin, Susie, and Ed have been friends since they were teenagers. Now in their thirties, the four are as close as ever, Thursday pub trivia night is sacred, and Eve is still secretly in love with Ed. Maybe she should have moved on by now, but she can’t stop thinking about what could have been. And she knows Ed still thinks about it, too.

But then, in an instant, their lives are changed forever.

In the aftermath, Eve’s world is upended. As stunning secrets are revealed, she begins to wonder if she really knew her friends as well as she thought. And when someone from the past comes back into her life, Eve’s future veers in a surprising new direction...

They say every love story starts with a single moment. What if it was just last night?

B&N
So, I finished reading Just Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane last night(hehe😂) and I went into it after reading the blurb(not the reviews) and I must say that everything about this one from the cover, the tagline to the blurb was misleading - or was it vague on purpose? Or maybe I love jumping to conclusions? I swear I thought it was a story about unrequited love and at 20% I was ready to throw in the towel because I didn't like the object of the unrequited crush 😂 And well at least I knew that this was more of a women's fiction than a romance so I had adjusted my expectations accordingly and the prologue had given me ample warning about the subject matter. ⁣

And I'm glad I looked past my preconceived notions and kept reading it because this was definitely an amazing story! It's a story about grief, friendship and learning to look past first impressions and what we might *think* we know about someone(serves me right😂). It definitely has some romance in the latter half(not the major focus tho) - and yes I did like the love interest 😂 I'm keeping it vague on purpose because I don't want to give away any spoilers. I think not knowing much about the story ended up being a surprise for me in a good way. The story revolves around a tightknit group of friends - Eve, Susie, Justin and Ed who've been really close since their teenage years. Eve is the protagonist and she loves spending her time with them. But everything changes abruptly one night when tragedy strikes and Eve is left picking up the pieces. And in a turn of events she finds some secrets too and that makes her question everything that she thought she knew about her friends.⁣
Would definitely recommend this one if you're looking for an emotional read with many humorous moments too!

You can also find this review on my bookstagram here



Mhairi was born in Falkirk, Scotland in 1976. She went to school in Nottingham, studied English Literature at Manchester University and then returned to Nottingham to delight its citizens with her journalism. After roles as trainee reporter, reporter, feature writer and columnist, she realised she’d climbed to the very top of the mountain at the Nottingham Post and at age 31 decided to write a novel. Some very skint years followed, during which she thought she might’ve made a huge mistake.

Her debut novel, the romantic comedy You Had Me At Hello, was an instant hit upon being published in December 2012. It’s since become HarperCollins’ best selling ebook to date, has been translated into 16 languages and is being developed as a major feature film, with Mhairi writing the screenplay. The follow up, Here’s Looking At You, was published in December 2013 and made the Sunday Times Bestseller list.


Comments