Book Review : Magic Tides by Ilona Andrews



Magic Tides by Ilona Andrews
Series : Kate Daniels #10.5
Genre : Science Fiction, Fantasy
Publisher : NYLA
Publication Date : January 17th, 2023
Ilona Andrews invites you back to the #1 New York Times bestselling Kate Daniels series in this exciting new long novella featuring Kate, Curran and Conlan, some familiar faces, some new friends, and all the special brand of chaos they create!

Kate, Curran and their son, Conlan have left Atlanta, vowing to keep a low profile, and are settling into a new city and new house…but some things never change! Magical mayhem is about to erupt when Kate undertakes the rescue of a kidnapped youth, while Curran guards the homefront.

It should be a simple retrieval, but with monsters on land and sea, Kate’s got her work cut out for her. Still, she's never let her blade dull or her purpose falter. And that low profile? It’s about to wash away with the raging tides!

B&N
I was so surprised and excited that we were getting a Kate Daniels novella and I'd been saving it for this weekend because I wanted to savor it slowly. And omg what a treat! If there's a series that's a favorite 'everything' for me the Kate Daniels series is it - my favorite protagonist, favorite book husband, favorite couple, favorite characters - you get it. Tbh it's my dream to be as bad-ass as Kate all right. Sadly I don't have a sword(or scary-powerful magic)🤣 Nvm I'll work with what I have. I was soo sad when this series ended back in 2018 and I'd keep doing a yearly re-read, so it's really amazing to be back in this world!

So, in Magic Tides, we get to follow Kate, her shapeshifter hubby Curran and their now 8-year old son Conlan after they shifted from Atlanta to Wilmington, hoping for a quieter and more normal life(ahem as normal as they can be 😂). But you know what they say about best laid plans lol. When Kate learns that the cousin of Conlan's friend has been kidnapped, she jumps in to help them of course(there goes her plan to lay low) and ends up taking on a gang of traffickers and a few other dangerous entities!

This was more slice of life - there's the IA humor and witty banter along with some amazing action of course - but nothing too life threatening 🤣 Kate is just as kick-ass as usual, but I feel like she's also gotten better at controlling her impulses haha😂 and also we have many chapters from Curran's pov along with one Conlan chapter too!💃 They were both amazing and I loved seeing how they were handling Conlan's relationship with grandpa(*cough*) Roland - nice parenting I'd say. I feel like the connection between Kate and Curran is just the same as before, with so much understanding and trust. We also get to meet a few old faces and many new ones too. Though they may have left the Pack, they're both born leaders and it's nice to see how that's reflected here in the way the other characters treat them. Also that part where we get to see Curran's thoughts about Jim and his attitude towards them 💔 I have complicated feelings when it comes to Jim and I imagine both Kate and Curran feel the same. With their new start in Atlanta and how Keelan and many other shifters have slowly joined them, I feel there is going to be a shift in the power structure and idk how Jim and the others will react to that. It's definitely intriguing! I also loved seeing Kate's convo with Hugh(omg could you have imagined this happening a few books back?🤣). Though Kate and Curran might not be close anymore with some other friends, I feel like they also have a huge family now - one that they can trust and count on. And that makes me so happy!

This novella not only gives us some long lost Kate Daniels goodness, but also sets up the stage for some interesting things that might happen in the future - and I'm here for it!!! Here's me praying to the gods for more spin-off books/novellas(there must be right since this is Wilmington Years #1? Yes, is the only right answer). Go read this if you are a KD fan and if you haven't read this series yet - what are you waiting for?!?!?

You can also find my review on my bookstagram here


You can also find my reviews for the author's other books here

 
Ilona Andrews (Author of Magic Bites)

“Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Texas with their two children and many dogs and cats.

They have co-authored several bestselling series, including the #1 NYT bestselling urban fantasy of Kate Daniels, rustic fantasy of the Edge, paranormal romance of Hidden Legacy, and Innkeeper Chronicles, which they post as a free weekly serial. For complete list of their books, fun extras, and Innkeeper installments, please visit their website at ilona-andrews.com.

Website | Facebook | Twitter

Comments